The Commissioning Editor will be required to:
– commission approx. 20 new titles a year covering both fiction and non-fiction, working closely with the Publisher and his management team
– undertake structural editing of key titles
– manage and oversee the editorial process, incl. liaising with freelancers/junior editorial staff and getting books print ready on time
– manage print buying
– manage and help to enforce the agreed publishing schedule
– manage submissions within minimum time frame
– brief cover and book designers
– represent the company at public events when required.
The successful candidate should have:
– a minimum of 5 years publishing experience and a minimum of 2 years’ experience in editorial management;
– experience in commissioning and list building;
– competency in structural and copy editing/proofreading;
– established networking skills with a wide range of Irish writers;
– ability to assess both the creative as well as the commercial potential, making sure that both requirements are fulfilled;
– basic familiarity with publishing-specific accounts procedures;
and finally, be a good team-player who will work well in a small organisation.
About New Island:
New Island is a small company of 27 years’ standing, publishing across both literary fiction and general interest non-fiction. Headed by publisher Edwin Higel, we are a close-knit and supportive team, operating from a Stillorgan, Co Dublin based office. We pride ourselves on producing great books and doing well by our authors and staff, and have been privileged to receive Arts Council funding since our inception in respect of our literary list. To retain that support is one of our key corporate objectives.
Our publications are intended to be outstanding in every sense of the word and, where possible, to appeal to both an Irish and an international audience, resulting in growing co-edition and rights sales.
Closing date Monday 14th October, 2018, 5pm.
To apply, please write in strictest confidence with cover letter and CV to email@example.com. References will be requested of shortlisted candidates.